What are my barriers to leisure? What gets in the way of me experiencing leisure? I feel that I experience leisure quite often though the typical things get in the way like, school, work, money and time. How ever I realised there is a specific leisure activity that I have been resisting and clearly its because there is a barrier some where in my head.
On three different weeks before our (my friends and I) Sunday diners they have decided to go play soccer. One of my friends is an x soccer player, the other is a b ball player and the other a hockey/soccer player and I am an x gymnast, figure skater, swimmer and rugby player. Some would consider us to be pretty athletic. I still consider myself to be an athlete, but not a jack of all trades.
So how come every time they ask me I say no? Why don't I want to go play soccer? True I have never actually played soccer and often used to make fun of soccer players while I played rugby, but after all this is just for fun to get some excerise and have a good time. *Leisure*
So what's my barrier??
I guess the first is that I think I'll suck given that I've never played (a little to early to assume)
The second is that though I was very athletic at one time I never thought I was good at everything. I've noticed that most of my girl friends are pretty good at all the sports they do for leisure not just the ones they do seriously. Some of them are good at, baseball, soccer, hockey, tennis and B ball. I guess I'm embarrassed after being such a good rugby player to play soccer and suck at it.
So my biggest barrier to trying this new leisure activity is that I think I will suck and be embarrassed.
Looks like this leisure activity would be a good one for that assignment "do a leisure activity you've never done"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment