So I guess an important question to ask myself is, what is leisure to me? Apart from the typical activities I consider to be leisure there are other things like my work that can feel like leisure a lot of the time. I have had the fortune of spending my last two summers working as the Special Needs Animator at Vanier SuperCamp. As well I work for WIAIH (West Island Association for the Intellectually Handicapped), Miriam Center and privately for families who have children with special needs. In all my work no matter how stressful some days can be there are always those moments when I connect with a child, or a light bulb goes off in their head and they have spelt the word cat for the first time, or they have been accepted by another "regular" kid at camp, or I'm pushing them on the swing and they are happier then ever. In all these breath taking moments my work becomes leisure for me. I all these kinds of moments there is nothing else I would rather be doing. That to me is leisure!If only money didn't matter my work would be for free and then it would truly be seen by others as leisure.

No comments:
Post a Comment